Friday 5 April 2013

Iguaçu and a bit of BA

February 26th - 28th 2013

Tommy, how the hell are you giving all these blog updates, it's been a month with nothing?!
Guys, I'm writing this having spent 23 out of the past 24 hours on a bus, I might as well do something practical.

So yes, I arrived and ditched the poshies and got a local bus in to Foz. There's definitely a lot of money to be made in Foz in the club scene, there's literally zero to do other than the falls so most people just stay there a day.
I found my hostel and after freshening up I was out to the falls. It just takes a local bus that costs about 40p to go direct to the falls, and I met two German girls on the way who'd just started their trip who were a year in to their studies.

Most people that you meet will say the Argentine side of the falls is better, however I personally prefered the Brazilian side (Foz do Igaçu). On this side you pay to enter and you can stop at mutilple places for extra activities, but I'm on a budget so I enjoyed the 1.5 mile walk along the falls, where you see some of the most remarkable panoramic views of falls - so great that Eleanor Roosevelt remarked 'poor Niagra' on visiting them. I had an amazing time there, the view is simply astonishing and you even have oppurtunities to go white water rafting and in a boat beneath them. The image of them was enough for me, so astonishing.
I spent the entire day there, some times just say that looking in to the falls, I'd hope that I got some pretty good shots.
Got a bus back and picked up some food for dinner that night. The hostel was really nice, it had a pool and the social area was like a beach hut, so cool. So I had a swim and later cooked, and afterwards collected my free Capirinha (official cocktail of Brazil) and got chatting with the social circle that included the entire hostel.
I had a really goodnight and met so many interesting people - and a few losers like the girl who arrived the same time as me, spent the whole day by the pool and was to spend the whole of the next day there also. The night was pretty funny actually, this American got drunk and threatened to beat us all up (not me, for some reason I was an ally!) and he was crushing his beer cans to show what a badass he was!! Then the best bits, he claimed to be a partof the Hells Angels - to which I queried 'hey Dan, why is there no aostrophe in 'Hells'?' he definitely didn't see the funny side. Then an Aussie threatened to attack him for the offensive comments he was making to women (an Aussie!!! Complaining about sexism! I know!)
So I got up early and as I rose I saw Alex, James and Jack from Floripa, and we were all booked in to Millhouse Ave so would hook up again on the weekend. I had my fry-up that was a part of the package and went with the German girls to get some argentine pesos for my reals. After that I had my bags and got a local bus to Argentina (how cool is that! Another country for 40p!!) 
The way it works is, unless this is the standard (regular commute from Foz - Puerto Iguaçu) then you are dropped off at the Argentine border, get a stamp, and wait for the next bus that takes you to customs (however they wait for you at customs). I met an American girl who went to USC (Univeriaty of Spoilt Children/Southern California) and we got chatting a lot however she, being an American with visas, was in customs so long the bus left and I didn't see her again. Upon arrival at the bus station I bought my ticket for that night to Buenos Aires, dropped my bags and got a bus to the Argentine side of the falls (sounds like I'm moving fast, huh? I departed from the Etonians 26 hours prior).
The Argentine falls are absolutely spectacular and even more tourist-y and packed than the Brazilian side. I was pretty sad to be out of Brazil actually, I love that country so much, and I can't wait to come back in July!
I was also pretty pissed off when my camera broke (yeah, it broke at THE place to take pictures) and maybe that's why I never loved Argentina as much.
I was at the falls for hours and hours, and when I returned I had a little over an hour till my bus to BA, so I christened my first day in a different country with a steak and chips. No lie or even exageration, the steak was probably as big as my head. It was good times but a bit of a waste of money seeing that I then was introduced to Argentine buses - champagne (not a lie) and 3 meals. 
The journey was fine and Buenos Aires welcomed me with it's slums that are conveniently situated next to the bus station, or 'rodivario' if you're ever in need of the word. I was pretty disapointed with Millhouse's (my hostel) directions so I ended up getting a cab that was kinda nice cos I wanted a shower and I got to see some of the beautiful city. I was about to meet friends here from home and enjoy the most visited city in South America for the next two weeks... Let's hope it didn't disapoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment